Friday, August 17, 2007

WHAT ABSOLUTE FUN!!!!!

Yes it was exhausting, but it was also one of the best times I've had!


I am so very happy that Lissa decided to join band and went to camp. What a great way for kids to start HS. She will walk in knowing over 100 people, having relationships, people she can ask questions of and feel completely at ease. It was amazing at how the kids (seniors to freshmen) all bonded and while I am not naive enough to think that "pecking order" will disappear, I know she will be OK.

I think what I liked the most was that everyone in the band even the nerds and misfits, now belongs to something and is important. I remember starting a new school and how you were trying to find your place and how some never did. Band gives the kids so much.

I also found it amazing how a bunch of kids (including 50 freshmen mind you) can take sheets they've never seen before on Monday and end up with a routine and music in 5 days. We continue with practices the next 2 weeks, but our first game is Friday (yes as in the 24th).

And Tracey, talk about sleeping with one eye open! Boy do you have that right. Got quite the education in the first 2 days. Not that I didn't expect to have to keep a close eye on things but I was not prepared for taking the night shift in order to perform my chaperon duties (yes as in I slept during the day so I could stay up all/most of the night).

It did feel like we did nothing but eat and sit and sit some more and than eat again. I did manage to get quite a few projects done. Need to unpack so I can post pics. Was a very successful knitting week. Also acquired a wee bit of new yarn in the process. Come on, you didn't expect me to take "a trip" and not search out a yarn store did you?

4 comments:

bonitapita said...

Glad to hear you had a good time. Night shift? I don't remember chaperons being up all night...but, then again, I don't remember being up after lights out, either! Can't wait to see what you got knitted!

Anonymous said...

So glad it was a good experience for your daughter! If I hadn't had band in high school I would have been lost, and in all kinds of trouble. The band was a great source of personal growth and pride, and I hope it goes well for Lissa too.

Leah said...

Although I went to a tiny odd little Bklyn school with no band per se (at least not organized), My hub's cousin, now in college, was a total band person in his Texas high school--he loved it so much, he was such a great kid, and the band was just phenomenally good. It sounded really cool to me--I'm so glad to hear your girl's doing the band thing!!

I got your post on 2-socks-at-once. I've heard of this, and only dreamed it possible, and now you tell me you've done it!!! I'm inspired. Now, must find a way to learn. Maybe online.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the well-wishes! My Mom is in MA and won't be here, but we've got neighbors who got together and are going to take turns bringing meals and entertaining the kids for a few days. It's so nice to have good friends, here and in the blogsphere!